Founding Software Engineer
Strategy & Operations
✂️ We cut the red tape between patients and medicine. Our mission is to make health care easy to use for everyone, starting with prescription medication.
See the impact we’re having today: Patient Stories from tandem
Health care in the US often feels impossible, especially when you need to use insurance. Just figuring out what benefits you’re entitled to requires hours of back-and-forth. It’s so common that healthcare researchers gave it a name: sludge. When dealing with serious health issues, you have no choice but to waste your energy battling the system to get what you need.
The problems show up most acutely and consistently with complex medications – these drugs make up 25%+ of all healthcare spend because they're the only way to treat many serious conditions. Unfortunately, they’re unaffordable without insurance, and the paperwork to get them approved takes weeks, if not months. A Washington Post reporter captured the experience poignantly in an article earlier this year.
Thanks to recent developments in healthcare data regulation and AI, we are changing this: tandem helps patients get life-changing medicine as quickly and cheaply as possible, handling all the complexity of insurance, financial assistance programs, and pharmacy supply & network issues*.* Behind the scenes, we are also supporting research and development of new therapies. And the same regulatory and technological developments will allow us to drive similar change for other categories of healthcare – we are building a company to abstract away all the complexity of health insurance for anyone.
Our initial product is live today with ecstatic feedback from patients and doctors, and we now need help scaling. Join us to prevent people who need treatment from getting caught in the red tape!
We’re lucky to have the support of Thrive Capital, Bain Capital Ventures, BoxGroup, Pear VC, Vast Ventures, SV Angel, Comma Capital, Coalition Operators, and many angel investors, and we are sufficiently funded for the next few years.
Working with us
- Drive real change for people that need it. We have a rare opportunity to change how healthcare works for Americans without needing other parts of the industry to change. Our initial focus is life-changing medicine for people with serious conditions, so you’ll have real impact right from the start.
- Feel excited to come to work because of the people around you. Nothing is more energizing than high talent density at your company. We know what that feels like, and we are committed to building a team where everyone truly feels challenged and inspired by their peers. We value grit, rigor, resourcefulness, dedication, candor, and curiosity.
- Become a healthcare content expert. Understanding the system is a prerequisite to solving a way through it, so we care that everyone learns how and why US healthcare and drugs in particular work the way they do. Whether you’re joining from a healthcare background or just getting acquainted, you’ll get deeper working here than you ever thought you could.
- Never run out of interesting problems. While we have a specific initial focus, our long-term goal is huge in scope. We have an unbelievable amount to figure out and build in the next year, but there is also a near-infinite universe of challenges to dive into as we expand our view. In addition, we have an opportunity to be at the forefront of using new regulation (e.g., No Surprises Act) and technology (e.g., LLMs) to make big impact. You will never be bored.
- Work in a beautiful and spacious NYC office. We have an office in SoHo with a well-stocked kitchen and productive desk setups. We’re excited to be hyper productive together while having fun! (with some hybrid flexibility)
- Have competitive compensation with meaningful equity and benefits. Everyone who joins us early will be a huge part of our success, and we reflect this through ownership and pay.
- Get support for your wellbeing. We provide rich benefits to allow you to do your best work:
- Fully covered medical, vision, and dental insurance.
- Memberships for One Medical, Talkspace, Teladoc, and Kindbody.
- Unlimited paid time off (PTO) and 16 weeks of parental leave.
- 401K plan setup, FSA option, and commuter benefits.
- Dinner is covered at the office every day after 7 pm.